PHYSICAL EDUCATION / HEALTH EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PHILOSOPHY
Physical Education at Gateway Regional High School is designed to present opportunities for physical, mental, social, and emotional growth within a safe and healthy environment. Through the sequential progression of fundamental movement and fitness concepts, students acquire the skills, knowledge, and attitudes necessary to engage in lifelong physical activity that promotes, fosters and maintains an active healthy lifestyle.
Health is the state of total physical, mental, and social wellness, which permeates every aspect of human development. The health program at Gateway Regional High School focuses on the student and the interrelationship of his/her level of wellness and the development of lifelong attitudes and habits. Through an active and personal learning process, students move from concrete thinking to abstract thinking ability by acquiring: knowledge an understanding of the decision-making process, and gaining the confidence they need to take responsibility for their own health.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION CURRICULUM GOALS
- To offer lifetime/leisure skills.
- To encourage physical fitness activities.
- To expand cognitive learning.
- To enhance communication skills; social and mental.
- To promote teamwork, cooperation and sportsmanship.
- To expand the physical education theory and practice by teaching values, rules and safety practices.
HEALTH EDUCATION CURRICULUM GOALS
- To make students aware of health issues.
- To present factual and up-to-date information.
- To provide students with the opportunity to question and challenge attitudes and behaviors.
- To stress the importance of understanding both the positive and negative issues of health.
- To acquire good decision-making skills.
- To provide information necessary to improve the quality of life.
- To develop effective communication skills.
- To cooperate with and respect others.