Don't miss another issue of Breaking News! Click here to subscribe for an email each time a new issue is posted!
January 9, 2019
Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is the latest issue of Breaking News -- the e-newsletter of the Gateway Regional School District. We are always looking for feedback and ideas to improve the newsletter, so please feel free to contact us!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: “I see litter as part of a long continuum of anti-social behavior.” – Bill Bryson
WEEK AT A GLANCE:
- Tuesday, January 8: Half-Day for Teacher Professional Development: MS/HS released at 10:35 a.m.; Preschool dismisses at 11:30 a.m. and there is no afternoon PreK; elementary students out at 11:40 a.m.; Wrap Around Open 11:40 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Gateway Ski Team race, 5 p.m. at Berkshire East;
- Wednesday, January 9: Half-Day for Teacher Professional Development: MS/HS released at 10:35 a.m.; Preschool dismisses at 11:30 a.m. and there is no afternoon PreK; elementary students out at 11:40 a.m.; Wrap Around Open 11:40 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Gateway Wrestling Team vs. John J. Duggan Academy at home, 6 p.m. in the HS Gym; Superintendent’s Evaluation Committee, 6 p.m. in Dr. Hopson’s office; Gateway Regional School Committee meeting, 7 p.m. in MS room 112/114; joint budget development meeting with town officials; public welcome;
- Thursday, January 10: Communications Council Meeting, 9 – 10 a.m. in Dr. Hopson’s office; Gateway Ski Team race, 5 p.m. at Berkshire East; Gateway Boys Basketball Team at home against Berkshire Academy Charter School, JV at 5, Varsity at 6:30;
- Friday, January 11: Gateway Girls Basketball Team at home vs. Hampden Charter School of Science; JV at 5:30 p.m., Varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- Monday, January 14: Gateway Boys Basketball Team at home against Smith Voke, JV at 5 p.m., Varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 15: Gateway Ski Team race, 5 p.m. at Berkshire East;
- Wednesday, January 16: Gateway Wrestling Team at home against Mohawk Trail Regional High School;6 p.m. in the HS Gym.
For more upcoming events, download the January Counter Card (on display at security and in all Gateway offices).
SCHOOL COMMITTEE: The next meeting of the Gateway Regional School Committee will be Wednesday, January 9 at 7 p.m. in MS Rooms 112/114. Click here for more information on January meetings. This is a joint budget development meeting with town officials for the 2019-20 school year. The public is welcome to attend.
SOPHOMORE SERVES ENVIRONMENT WHILE HIKING: Gateway sophomore Sebastian Szklarz rarely misses a weekly Outdoor Club hike—or a chance to help the environment. Read more in Parker Atkin’s story.
HOLIDAY, TWO HALF-DAYS IN JANUARY: Two consecutive half-days start today (Tuesday, January 8) for professional development and high school mid-year exams; all schools will be closed on Monday, January 21 for the Martin Luther King holiday.
CLARIFICATION ON 100% FREE LUNCHES AT CHESTER ELEMENTARY: Food Services Director Tasha Hartley has issued a clarification to Chester parents/guardians about the availability of free meals in Chester. While a full breakfast or lunch is free (“a fully reimbursable meal”) to Chester students, those who bring a cold lunch from home and just want a milk must pay for that single item.
UPDATED ATHLETIC INFORMATION ON GATEWAY WEBSITE: Changes have been made to the Athletics page of the GRSD website, including a link to game schedules and coaches email addresses. Click here to get to the webpage. (Grace LeBarron article)
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
JOIN SEBASTIAN AND HELP END LITTERING: There are some simple, common sense steps you can take to join Sebastian Szklarz’s mission to end littering. Here are 35.
EDUCATION FOUNDATION SEEKS BUSINESS SPONSORS
GATEWAY MOBILE APP REMINDER
VHS TO DVD-R FUNDRAISER FOR GATEWAY FILM STUDIES
OPT-IN FOR PARENTS MONITORING INTERNET SAFETY
IN CLOSING, this week's Superintendent’s Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson reports on the impact of state government not taking action on school funding and the work of the school district, school committee and town officials to keep our schools strong while protecting town finances, through the alternative assessment. Read the complete column for more information.
Have a great week!
Wendy V. Long, Editor
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019, Gateway Regional School District