Don't miss another issue of Breaking News! Click here to subscribe for an email each time a new issue is posted!
October 9, 2018
Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is the latest issue of Breaking News -- the e-newsletter of the Gateway Regional School District. We are always looking for feedback and ideas to improve the newsletter, so please feel free to contact us!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember you have within you the strength, the patience and the passion to reach for the stars, to change the world.” – Harriet Tubman
WEEK AT A GLANCE:
- Tuesday, October 9: Gateway X-C Teams vs. Monson, Hampden Charter, Palmer and Westfield Tech Academy; teams walk the course at 3:45 p.m., then return to the start for races. Best viewing from Littleville Dam; Boys Soccer Team vs. Mt. Everett HS; JV at 4 p.m.; Varsity at 6 p.m.; admission; concession stand;
- Wednesday, October 10: PSAT for grades 10 and 11 (must sign up and pay by Friday, 10/5); Kensington Focus Group (educational technology event) 10 – 2; Superintendent’s Evaluation Sub-Committee Meeting, 6 p.m. in Dr. Hopson’s Office; Gateway Regional School Committee Meeting, 7 p.m. in MS Rooms 112/114; public welcome;
- Thursday, October 11: Communications Council meets from 9 – 10 a.m. in Dr. Hopson’s Office; Girls Soccer Team vs. Hopkins Academy; JV at 4 p.m.; Varsity at 6 p.m.; Booster Field; admission is $4 for JV/Sr. Citizens; $6 for adults. Homecoming Kick Off Dinner: 4 – 10 p.m. at Chester Common Table, Main St. in Chester. Come in and order off of the menu; CCT is donating 15% to the Gateway Education Foundation;
- Friday, October 12: Homecoming Weekend continues with Family Movie Night: The Incredibles; Gateway Performing Arts Center; doors open at 6 p.m.; Refreshments and facepainting by Class of 2020; free admission (donations accepted to the Shipman Memorial Fund);
- Saturday, October 13: Homecoming Weekend Continues: 5K Dam Race, Tailgate Breakfast at 8 a.m.; Race registration opens at 8:30 a.m. (both in parking lot of Gateway HS). Race starts at 9 a.m. and ends on top of Littleville Dam.; Canoe/Kayak Historic Tour of Littleville Lake: learn more about the flooding of the hamlet of Littleville to create the reservoir with local historical Jeff Penn (GRHS ’80); noon to 2 p.m.; meet at the Littleville Boat Ramp. Bring Your Own Boat; (free; donations will be collected for the Gateway HS Outdoor Club). Soccer Saturday: Home soccer games all day followed by the Annual Alumni Soccer Game; JV Girls at 11; Varsity Girls at 1 p.m.; JV Boys at 4 p.m.; Varsity Boys at 6 p.m.;
- Sunday, October 14: Homecoming Finale: Alumni Band Concert, 4 p.m. in the Gateway Performing Arts Center. Donations support the Gateway bands.
- Tuesday, October 16: College Visit: Worcester State University, 12:30 p.m., sign up in Guidance; SR NIGHT: Girls & Boys Cross Country Team at home; races walk the course at 3:45 p.m., then return to the start to race; best viewing on Littleville Dam; senior recognition is after the race.
For more upcoming events, download the October Counter Card (on display at security and in all Gateway offices).
SCHOOL COMMITTEE: The next meeting of the Gateway Regional School Committee is Wednesday, September 26 at 7 p.m. in MS Rooms 112/114. Agenda items include updates on this year’s literacy program, and the new preschools; approval of overnight field trips; changes to employee health insurance; and policy approvals. The Superintendent’s Evaluation Committee meets at 6 p.m. in Dr. Hopson’s Office.The public is welcome to attend.
FALL SPORTS SENIOR NIGHTS COMING UP: Senior athletes will be recognized at their final home contests of the regular season: X-C on October 16; Girls Soccer on October 25; and Boys Soccer on October 29.
“SOCKTOBER” COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECT AT GATEWAY: Gateway’s MIAA Student Ambassadors are running a “Socktober Challenge” at the school in support of World Homeless Day. Socks will be collected at all home soccer games from now until October 18.
LAST CALL FOR HOMECOMING WEEKEND: Alumni, students, staff, retirees, families and community members are all invited to Gateway for our 3rd Annual Homecoming Weekend, October 11 – 14.
ELEMENTARY PICTURE DAY: Chester and Elementary School picture day is Friday, October 19. Families and staff members may purchase copies of the pictures after they are processed. Picture retakes for middle and high school students is Monday, October 22.
WINTER SPORTS REGISTRATION NOW OPEN: Online sign-ups for winter sports are now open on the Gateway Website. Tryouts for boys and girls basketball, wrestling, alpine skiing and cheerleading will begin on Monday, November 26. (Times will be announced on November 1).
CAFETERIA SUBSTITUTES NEEDED: The Gateway Cafeteria is looking for substitute workers to fill in where and when needed.
GATOR GRINS MOVING TO CHESTER: Gator Grins will be moving equipment to Chester Elementary School next week and begin seeing students on October 11.
SENATOR ADAM HINDS ANNOUNCES 2018 HOLIDAY CARD CONTEST: Open to children in grades 3 – 6 who live in his district (Blandford, Chester, Huntington and Middlefield). Designs are due by 4 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 16.
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
PLAN FOR A HEALTHY HALLOWEEN: As you begin planning the treats and costumes around Halloween, the American Academy of Pediatrics has some great tips to consider to keep your child—and other children—safe. Consider the safety of the costumes and accessories, pumpkin carving safety tips, balancing the food they eat the REST of the day/week, and considerations around food allergies.
PSATs ON OCTOBER 10
HOMECOMING WEEKEND SCHEDULE ANNOUNCED
FIRST PHASE OF GPAC IMPROVEMENTS UNVEILED TO PUBLIC ON OCTOBER 12
5K DAM RUN RETURNS TO HOMECOMING WEEKEND
FLU VACCINE AVAILABLE AT SBHC
GATEWAY MOBILE APP REMINDER
VHS TO DVD-R FUNDRAISER FOR GATEWAY FILM STUDIES
OPT-IN FOR PARENTS MONITORING INTERNET SAFETY
IN CLOSING, this week's Superintendent’s Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson discusses results from last spring's state-mandated testing, released this week. Read the complete column for more information.
Wendy V. Long, Editor
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email email@example.com
© 2018, Gateway Regional School District