Don't miss another issue of Breaking News! Click here to subscribe for an email each time a new issue is posted!
November 6, 2018
Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is the latest issue of Breaking News -- the e-newsletter of the Gateway Regional School District. We are always looking for feedback and ideas to improve the newsletter, so please feel free to contact us!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: “You’re not just voting for an individual, in my judgment, you’re voting for an agenda. You’re voting for a platform. You’re voting for a political philosophy.” – Colin Powell
WEEK AT A GLANCE:
- Wednesday, November 7: College Visits: Westfield State University, 8 a.m.; Lasell College 12:30 p.m.; sign up in Guidance. Gateway Girls Soccer Team (#4) faces Granby High School (#1) in WMASS DIV Tournament action at 7 p.m. at Holyoke High School. Admission will be $5 students and senior citizens (over 62), $7 adults;
- Thursday, November 8: Half-Day for Students/Parent-Teacher Conferences; Call your child’s school for an appointment if you do not yet have one. MS/HS dismissed at 10:35 a.m.; Morning PreK out at 11:30 a.m. with no afternoon PreK. Chester & Littleville dismissed at 11:40. Lunch is not served on half-days; Wrap Around open from dismissal to 6 p.m.; Lunch & Learn 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; technology professional development for Western Massachusetts personnel at Gateway;
- Friday, November 9: Half-Day for Students/Parent-Teacher Conferences; Call your child’s school for an appointment if you do not yet have one. MS/HS dismissed at 10:35 a.m.; Morning PreK out at 11:30 a.m. with no afternoon PreK. Chester & Littleville dismissed at 11:40. Lunch is not served on half-days; Wrap Around open from dismissal to 6 p.m.; Bake Sale, 10:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. for class fundraiser;
- Saturday, November 10: Western Massachusetts X-C Championships; Girls DII race at 11:40 a.m.; Boys DII race at 1 p.m.; Stanley Park; free admission;
- Monday, November 12: No School for Veterans Day; all schools, offices closed. Wrap Around open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. as long as enough families sign up. Please remember to pack a lunch and TWO snacks for children;
For more upcoming events, download the November Counter Card (on display at security and in all Gateway offices).
SCHOOL COMMITTEE: The next meeting of the Gateway Regional School Committee will be Wednesday, November 14 at 7 p.m. in MS Rooms 112/114. The public is welcome to attend.
ASSEMBLY KICKS OFF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE FUNDRAISER: A school-wide assembly held last week in the high school kicked off a special service project conducted by Project 351 Alumni Victoria Kot and Sierra Russell. Alumni of P351, the girls are selling Puravida bracelets at lunchtime for $5 to raise funds to support individuals served by Hilltown Safety at Home. (Article by Sr. Communications Intern Grace LeBarron).
DONATIONS ON GIVING TUESDAY WILL HELP SUSTAIN GATEWAY LITERACY PROGRAMS: Over the last six years, the Gateway Education Foundation has granted over $10,300 in funds to promote literacy at Chester and Littleville Elementary Schools. Your donation on Giving Tuesday (November 27) can help the Foundation continue to do so. It’s just one of the things that your “Giving Gives” to our students. (Article by Communications Intern Maria Pless).
CONGRATULATIONS TO MIDDLE SCHOOL BOYS X-C TEAM: Last week’s coverage of the 2nd place Gateway Girls MS Team finish in the Western Massachusetts Invitational race is incomplete! A boys team raced also, which included 6th graders J. J. Harris, Patrick Millin and Matthew Small; and Eli Gilbert, Nicholas Henrichon and Jared Small (7th grade). Congratulations to Jared Small for finishing in the top 15 and medaling; he finished 11th out of 135 boys with a time of 10:30 in the 1.8 mile run! Patrick Millin placed 24th and Nick Henrichon placed 38, finishing among top 3 Gateway runners.The team is coached by John Crane.
GATEWAY GIRLS SOCCER TEAM: PIONEER LEAGUE CHAMPS! Congratulations to the Gateway Girls Soccer Team for becoming Pioneer League Champs during their regular season. Last night, the girls (ranked #4 in the WMASS Div Tournament) defeated Hampden Charter School of Science, 5-0. Tomorrow evening (Wednesday, November 7) they face #1 Granby High School in a 7 p.m. game at Holyoke High. Good luck!
NHS ANNUAL DRIVE FOR HILLTOWN HOLIDAY HELP: In keeping with their traditional holiday service project, members of NHS will have a voluntary “hold up” in downtown Huntington on Saturday, November 17 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Article by Communications Intern Chloe McLeod).
VENDORS, SHOPPERS SOUGHT FOR ANNUAL COUNTRY CRAFT FAIR AT LITTLEVILLE: Kick off your holiday shopping season with a visit to this wonderful craft fair and stay for lunch! Saturday, November 17 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Vendor space is still available. (Article by Sr. Communications Intern Grace LeBarron).
ANNUAL PENNY SOCIAL REMINDER: A reminder that the Choir’s annual Penny Social is coming up on Friday, November 16. It will be held in the Gateway Cafeteria. Read the complete article to learn how these work! (Article by Communications Intern Parker Atkin).
ALL SCHOOLS, OFFICES CLOSED FOR VETERANS DAY: Wrap Around will be open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday, November 12.
TEACHER & PARA SUBS NEEDED THROUGHOUT GATEWAY: Substitute teachers and paras are needed in all schools, all grades. Please send a resume to Stephanie Conway (firstname.lastname@example.org) or stop by and fill out an application.
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
CENTER FOR EFFECTIVE PARENTING WEBSITE: This website has a listing of resources related to all kinds of parenting topics—from “slow dressers” to mealtime behaviors!
PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCE REMINDER
PARENTS RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES PRESENTATION
HILLTOWN HOLIDAY HELP
WINTER SPORTS REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
FLU VACCINE AVAILABLE AT SBHC
GATEWAY MOBILE APP REMINDER
VHS TO DVD-R FUNDRAISER FOR GATEWAY FILM STUDIES
OPT-IN FOR PARENTS MONITORING INTERNET SAFETY
IN CLOSING, the Superintendent’s Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson reports on last week’s NEASC accreditation visit. Read the complete column for more information.
Wendy V. Long, Editor
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email email@example.com
© 2018, Gateway Regional School District