February 15, 2012
Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is this week’s installment of Gateway’s weekly e-newsletter. Back issues of Breaking News and past Superintendent’s Corners are posted in the GRSD News Archive (under “News” on the district website). As always, your feedback and any suggestions for improvements are welcome.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "Knowledge is the only instrument of production that is not subject to the law of diminishing returns." - John Maurice Clark
UPCOMING MEETINGS: If you missed the February 8 meeting of the Gateway Regional School Committee, you missed a vote to reduce parking fees (passed), a vote to assess the towns based upon student population (failed), and a vote to reduce Version 1.1 of the budget (passed). Please see this week's Superintendent's Corner for details. The Public Hearing for the 2012-13 Budget will be on Wednesday, March 8th at 7:30 p.m. in the Gateway Performing Arts Center. The public is welcome and encouraged to attend. All budget documents are posted on the district website. Please note that any questions or concerns should first be brought to the appropriate district staff member (i.e. a specific teacher, principal or Central Office staff member). The first agenda item of every school committee meeting is hearing issues that are not on the posted agenda.
SOPHOMORE CLASS LEADS "NO TAN" PLEDGE: Gateway's tenth graders are trying to get 70% of the high school's students to sign a "no tanning" pledge by May 10, the date of the school's prom.
HIGH SCHOOL SECOND TERM HONOR ROLL: Principal Laurie Marvel has announced the honor roll for the second marking period of the school year.
JR. HIGH SCHOOL EFFORT AWARDS: Principal Laurie Marvel is pleased to announce the second term effort awards for grades 7 and 8.
PARENTS, STUDENTS REMINDED OF VOCATIONAL DEADLINE: The March 1st deadline includes an interview with a vocational school admissions counselor, teacher recommendations, and submitting the application to the appropriate Gateway Guidance Office.
JR. CLASS HOLDS SPRING PLANT SALE: Click here for an order form, which must be in by March 23rd. The anticipated delivery date will be April 3rd.
SPAGHETTI SUPPER TO BENEFIT MS BANDS: The 5-7 bands are hosting a Spaghetti Supper before their March 9th Cabin Fever Concert. Tickets will be $5 if sold in advance, and $7 at the door. All are welcome. Advance tickets may be purchased by emailing Susan LeBarron
( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
SAVE THE DATE FOR 50'S DINNER: The Class of 2014 is holding a 1950's theme dinner on May 11th from 5-8:30 p.m. in the Gateway cafeteria. Details to come, but this event will be open to the community with door prizes, games for children, and music from the 1950's.
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
UP AND AWAY AND OUT-OF-SIGHT: Every year, one out of 150 two-year-olds is treated for an accidental overdose--usually from finding and eating or drinking adult medications without adult knowledge. That's why the Centers for Disease Control advise parents to follow a few simple steps to handle this preventable risk to children.
- INCOMING 9TH GRADE INFORMATION SESSION: All area 8th grade students are invited, along with their parents/guardians, to an informative presentation on the transition from junior high school to Gateway Regional High School on Wednesday, February 15th from 6-7 p.m. in the Gateway Performing Arts Center.
- SCHOOLS TO CLOSE FOR WINTER VACATION: All schools and offices in the Gateway Regional School District will be closed February 20-24 for winter vacation. Read on for details about the Littleville Wrap Around Program and Gateway Wellness Center hours.
- CHESTER LIBRARY SEEKS VOLUNTEERS: The Chester Elementary School Library, run entirely by parent and community volunteers, needs more support. If you have a few hours to give on Thursdays or Fridays, please email email@example.com or call (413) 297-7137. Thank you!
- GatorRoo SAVE THE DATE: The GatorRoo Music Festival--a wonderful day of music from our elementary students--will be held Saturday, June 9th on Booster Field. More details to come!
- UPCOMING THEATRE MINI-COURSE AT CHESTER: Chester Elementary School will present "The Gingerbread Girl" by D. M. Larson at 6 p.m. on May 31st in the Gateway Performing Arts Center. The play--including acting, vocal exercises, background study, sets, props and lighting--will be developed during an after-school mini-course starting March 5th. The mini-course will be held every Monday and Wednesday after school from 3:20 to 5 p.m. All interested CES students in grades 2-4 can participate. Adult volunteers are greatly appreciated. Please contact Renee Butcher at (205) 383-9759.
- SPACE SCHOOL MUSICAL AND THE NIGHT SKY: Open to the first 60 to arrive, the Bassett Planetarium in Morgan Hall (Route 116) in Amherst, is offering a free program for families on February 21st (school vacation week).
- GATEWAY SENIOR NIGHTS: Senior nights for the winter sports teams--boys and girls basketball, alpine skiing, and cheerleading--are scheduled to take place from February 9-17. Fans should call the Gator Hotline (685-1111) to confirm, as weather might change these dates. (Article written by Sr. Intern Sara Pandolfino).
- ANNUAL VOLUNTEER APPRECIATION DINNER: The 8th Annual Volunteer Appreciation Dinner for all parents and community members who give their time to benefit Gateway students, will be held on Thursday, March 8th.
- KINDERGARTEN SCREENING: Kindergarten screening is coming up this spring, and the schools are updating their lists of children who will be age 5 on or before September 1, 2012. If you have a child who will be entering kindergarten this fall, please contact Littleville (685-1300 for families living in Huntington, Montgomery, Russell and Worthington) or Chester (685-1360 for families living in Blandford, Chester and Middlefield).
- SCHOOL SAFETY HOTLINE: Students, parents and community members can leave a message on the Safety Hotline by calling 685-1050.
- SAVE THE DATE FOR TALENT SHOW, TRYOUTS: The Annual Talent Show at Gateway Regional High School is scheduled for March 23rd. Tryouts will take place after school on Thursday, March 1st in the Gateway Performing Arts Center
- GATEWAY SAFE SCHOOLS PLAN: In the event of an emergency at your child's school, please do not call or drive to your child's school. We need to keep phone lines and roadways clear in an emergency. Please remain by your phone and wait for information and instructions from school staff, which will be sent using our auto-dialer. It is important that parents keep school secretaries up-to-date with their contact information.
IN CLOSING, this week's Superintendent's Corner is now published. This week, Dr. Hopson reports on the three votes taken by the Gateway Regional School Committee at last week's meeting. Read the entire column for details.
Have a wonderful week!
Wendy V. Long, Editor
To subscribe to this newsletter, send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org. To unsubscribe, look for information at the bottom of your e-newsletter.
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email email@example.com
© 2012, Gateway Regional School District