Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is your new issue of Breaking News -- the e-newsletter of the Gateway Regional School District. We are always looking for feedback and ideas to improve the newsletter, so please feel free to contact us!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb
SCHOOL COMMITTEE: The School Committee will meet on Wednesday, September 10 at 7:30 p.m. at Middlefield Town Hall. The public is invited and welcome to attend. The first agenda item of every school committee meeting is hearing issues that are not on the posted agenda. Please note that any questions or concerns should first be brought to the appropriate district staff member (i.e. a specific teacher, principal or Central Office staff member).
|NEW STAFF AT GATEWAY: We are pleased to welcome these new staff members--some of whom are returning alumni--to the district for the 2014-15 school year.
Photo (right): Some of the new faces at Gateway this year.
GATOR GRINS OPENS SEPTEMBER 9: The comprehensive dental services program--operated by Hilltown Community Health Centers, Inc.--will start in Chester, moving to the Gateway complex at the end of October.
AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM STARTS SEPTEMBER 22: Students attending the Middle School and Jr. High are invited to attend. This year's program runs Monday through Thursday, with special activities and events on Fridays throughout the school year. Click for the Middle School brochure, MS Registration, Jr. High Brochure/Registration, and the Medical Information Form (for either program).
REGISTER NOW FOR PSATs: This practice test for the Sat exam (given at Gateway on October 15) is recommended for high school sophomores and juniors who are considering attending a four-year college. A $14 test fee is due at sign-up, but fee waivers are available for 11th graders (only) who receive free/reduced lunch. Last day to sign up is October 8. Call 685-1107 if you have questions.
ATHLETIC BOOSTER CLUB NEEDS VOLUNTEERS, OFFICERS: The Gateway Athletic Booster Club, which supports the student athletes and athletic program of the Gateway Regional School District, is in need of additional volunteers. The current Vice President and Treasurer will be stepping down in June 2015, so this is the perfect time to join and learn more about this organization. Please call (413-862-4710) or email (email@example.com) Kath Mackechnie to join.
FAMILY ADVENTURES IN READING (FAIR): All Gateway children, aged 6-10 and their caregivers, are invited to participate in this six-week program of thought-provoking presentations of outstanding picture books. Each session includes an engaging presentation by renowned local storyteller John Porcino. The program is free and health snacks are provided. Books will be provided by Mass Humanities. Sessions run on Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. to noon, for October 4 - November 8. To register or for more information call 667-3506. The Huntington Public Library is one of ten libraries in the state selected to host this grant-funded program.
SOUTHERN HILLTOWNS ADULT EDUCATION CENTER: Upcoming offerings include an Introduction to Excel, Part 1 on September 16 in Russell and an information session on GED classes from 5:30 - 7 p.m. on September 17 at the Gateway classroom. Click for the September calendar and Course descriptions for more information.
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
TEN EASY WAYS TO HELP YOUR CHILD'S SCHOOL: It's the subject of this week's Superintendent's Corner, and ongoing pleas from teachers and staff. Helping your child's school is a vital part of supporting your child's education--and it can be a fun way to meet other parents and families! Click here for Gateway's directory of volunteer opportunities to see which ones interest you!
- SEPTEMBER EARLY RELEASE DAY: Read the article for dismissal times and details on the September 9 early release day for professional development.
- SCHOOL-BASED HEALTH CENTER INTERIM MEDICAL COVERAGE: Hilltown Community Health Centers, which run the Gateway School-Based Health Center (SBHC), staff are currently interviewing candidates to replace Nurse Practitioner Eileen Hirsch who left this summer. In the interim, HCHC staff will be covering a part-time schedule at the SBHC. Students who need a medical appointment may see Ms. Phillips to schedule. The Gateway SBHC provides quality health care during school hours. Counselor Suzanne Kresiak has returned and is taking appointments. Enrollment forms will be sent home in the next few weeks. Stop in and visit during Open Houses! For more information, visit our website.
- UPDATE ON PRESCHOOL START: Parents of students attending Gateway's full day or morning Preschool Program are advised that classes begin on Tuesday, September 9. Students enrolled in the afternoon program (only) will start on Wednesday, September 10. Additional information will go directly to those families.
- ONLINE GRADE ACCESS FOR PARENTS: Parents/guardians of students in grades 5-12 are reminded that they can access their student's assignments, home, grades and attendance online.
- FEES MAY BE PAID ONLINE: A reminder that fees for everything from athletics to replacing student I.D.'s may be paid online. Click here to get to that webpage.
- SAVE THE DATE FOR COLLEGE WORKSHOP: Gateway seniors and their parents/guardians are invited to attend on September 25 at 6 p.m.
- LUNCH MENU: Meal prices remain at $1.25 for breakfast and $2.25 for elementary schools ($2.50 for grades 5-12) for lunch. Free or Reduced Meals applications are posted.
- QUICKLINKS: Click titles for the 2014-15 School Year Calendar, and for getting a head start on back-to-school Parent Forms. You can also get a jump on paying for things like parking passes, school meals and athletic fees online.
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SERVICES AVAILABLE IN THE HILLTOWNS: Hilltown Safety at Home (HS@H) provides a part-time domestic violence Advocate to hilltown residents who call 413-559-8039. If you need help in an emergency, call 911 or the Safe Passage hotline at 1-888-345-5282.
- GATEWAY SCHOOL SAFETY HOTLINE: Students, parents, staff and communitymembers are reminded that any school safety concern can be reported to our hotline by calling 685-1050.
- GATEWAY SAFE SCHOOLS PLAN: In the event of an emergency at your child's school, please do not call or drive to your child's school. We need to keep phone lines and roadways clear in an emergency. Please remain by your phone and wait for information and instructions from school staff, which will be sent using our auto-dialer. Parents are advised to keep school secretaries up-to-date with their contact information.
IN CLOSING, the latest Superintendent's Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson explains the importance of volunteers and asks those who can, to step forward. Read the complete column for details.
Wendy V. Long, Editor
To subscribe or unsubscribe to this newsletter, send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email email@example.com
© 2014, Gateway Regional School District