Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is your new issue of Breaking News -- the e-newsletter of the Gateway Regional School District. We are always looking for feedback and ideas to improve the newsletter, so please feel free to contact us!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, one for helping others," Audrey Hepburn
SCHOOL COMMITTEE: The next meeting of the Gateway Regional School Committee will be on Wednesday, December 10 in the Gateway Library/Media Center. Starting December 10, school committee meetings will begin at 7 p.m. (a half hour earlier) to provide additional time for budget. The first agenda item of every school committee meeting is hearing issues that are not on the posted agenda. (Please note that any questions or concerns should first be brought to the appropriate district staff member, i.e. a specific teacher, principal or Central Office staff member).
COMING UP AT GATEWAY: Grandparents Day is Wednesday, 11/26 at Littleville and Chester Elementary Schools; the Thanksgiving recess includes a half-day on Wednesday and no school on Thursday or Friday (11/27 and 11/28); winter sports tryouts begin on Monday, December 1 after school; the Chester PTO meets 12/1 at 6 p.m.; Littleville PTO meets 12/2 at 5:30 p.m.
|"MANY HANDS" SOUGHT TO HELP GATEWAY EDUCATION FOUNDATION: If every family, alumni and staff member each gave $10, the foundation could raise nearly $53,000! Many hands, indeed, would be helpful on Valley Gives Day, 12/10/14.
Photo (right): Gateway Jr. High School students on the high ropes at Becket Chimney Corners, a trip earlier this month sponsored by the Gateway Education Foundation.
GATEWAY BLOOD DRIVE SAVED UP TO 144 LIVES: Sixty donors presented and 48 pints of blood were collected.
HIGH SCHOOL'S FIRST TERM HONOR ROLL: Principal Jason Finnie has announced the honor roll for the first term of the 2014-15 school year.
POINSETTIA SALE: This very popular annual plant sale returns to Gateway. Orders and payment must be received by Friday, December 5, for pick-up at the school on December 12. Click here to download an order form.
PANCAKE SUPPER DECEMBER 5: The Gateway bands are hosting the fundraiser in the Gateway cafeteria from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on Friday.
MIIA LOSS CONTROL GRANT FUNDS CLASSROOM STEPSTOOLS: The Gateway Regional School District received nearly $5,000 in funding to purchase stepstools for Gateway classrooms and offices. The grant was offered and funded through Gateway's workman's comp insurer and was awarded to prevent injuries to staff and students.
THANK YOU! We wish to thank the Pioneer Valley Assembly of God Women's Ministry Group for their annual donation of tissues and cleaning wipes. Thank you for keeping Gateway healthy!
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
NATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP MONTH: November is National Scholarship Month, and Gateway seniors are taking part in 'College Week' activities. As such, each senior should have received a booklet of local scholarships (extras are available in the Guidance Office). The title website also has a free scholarship search engine for opportunities beyond the Gateway hilltowns.
- EDUCATION FOUNDATION TO TAKE PART IN "VALLEY GIVES" DAY: This will be the third time that the education foundation has participated and hopes to raise $10,000 this year on December 10. Read the article to learn how you can help!
- SR. CITIZENS: PLEASE RSVP FOR ANNUAL BRUNCH/CONCERT: Area Sr. Citizens are invited to the annual Holiday Brunch and Concert on Wednesday, December 3. Please RSVP by November 25.
- PUBLIC INVITED TO ATTEND, SPEAK AT DESE NEEDS CONFERENCE: Part of the "Worthington Withdrawal" process, the hearing will be held on Wednesday, December 3 from 6:30 - 9 p.m. in the Gateway Performing Arts Center. All are invited to attend; please read the article for more information. In related news...
- WORTHINGTON WITHDRAWAL BLOG ON GATEWAY WEBSITE: A new blog on the Worthington Withdrawal has been added to the Gateway website and is linked from its home page. Parents, students, staff and community members are invited to view the blog posts and share their comments.
- THANKSGIVING RECESS: The article details days that schools are closed and the half-day dismissal times for the Thanksgiving break.
- COLLEGE WEEK AT GATEWAY: The shortened week of Thanksgiving includes special seminars, workshops and an alumni college panel to help students prepare for colleges and careers.
- COATS FOR THE COMMUNITY: Please bring washed, gently-used coats to collection boxes at Littleville or the High School (at main entrances during normal school hours). This annual coat drive has collected 224 coats in the last two years. Coats will be distributed to hilltown families from December 1-19 at the Gateway Community Center in Huntington. For questions, please call Rachel LeBarron (667-5773) or Diane Meehan (667-2203).
- WINTER SPORTS TRYOUTS: Sign-ups are underway for the winter sports season, which includes wrestling, downhill skiing, plus boys and girls basketball. Tryouts will begin on Monday, December 1st. Please check the high school athletics website for more details.
- NOVEMBER CALENDAR HIGHLIGHTS: The month includes a 2-hour earlier release, an extended Veterans' Day weekend for students; and adjourning for the Thanksgiving break for a half-day on Wednesday, November 26 and extending through the weekend.
- VHS TO DVD-R CONVERSION: The Gateway News Network (GNN) is once again holding a fundraiser for new equipment by converting home videos and educational videos from VHS to DVD.
- QUICKLINK TO THE HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS SCHEDULE: The Gateway sports schedule is posted on the high school website this year, in the "Athletics" drop-down menu.
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SERVICES AVAILABLE IN THE HILLTOWNS: Hilltown Safety at Home (HS@H) provides a part-time domestic violence Advocate to hilltown residents who call 413-559-8039. If you need help in an emergency, call 911 or the Safe Passage hotline at 1-888-345-5282.
- GATEWAY SCHOOL SAFETY HOTLINE: Students, parents, staff and community members are reminded that any school safety concern can be reported to our hotline by calling 685-1050.
- GATEWAY SAFE SCHOOLS PLAN: In the event of an emergency at your child's school, please do not call or drive to your child's school. We need to keep phone lines and roadways clear in an emergency. Please remain by your phone and wait for information and instructions from school staff, which will be sent using our auto-dialer.Parents are advised to keep school secretaries up-to-date with their contact information.
IN CLOSING, the latest Superintendent's Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson reports on the disappointing news about the Governor's 9-C cuts, resulting in an estimated $241,000 mid-year cut for Gateway. Please read the complete column for details.
Wendy V. Long, Editor
To subscribe or unsubscribe to this newsletter, send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email email@example.com
© 2014, Gateway Regional School District