Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is your new issue of Breaking News -- the e-newsletter of the Gateway Regional School District. We are always looking for feedback and ideas to improve the newsletter, so please feel free to contact us!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "In the future, I'm sure there will be a lot more robots in every aspect of life. If you told people in 1985 that in 25 years they would have computers in their kitchen, it would have made no sense to them." - Rodney Brooks
SCHOOL COMMITTEE: The school committee held a special meeting on Monday, November 17 at 7 p.m. to discuss litigation. Their next regular meeting will be on Wednesday, December 10 at 7:30 p.m. in the Gateway Library/Media Center. The first agenda item of every school committee meeting is hearing issues that are not on the posted agenda. (Please note that any questions or concerns should first be brought to the appropriate district staff member, i.e. a specific teacher, principal or Central Office staff member).
COMING UP AT GATEWAY: Students will have a two-hour early release on Tuesday, November 18; the Gateway Choirs' will hold their annual Penny Social fundraiser on Friday, November 21; the high school's College Week is 11/24-11/26 and includes the College Financing Seminar on Monday at 6 p.m.; Grandparents Day is Wednesday, 11/26 at Littleville Elementary School.
|GATEWAY GIRLS EARN HIGH MARKS IN ROBOTICS: Two teams of girls from Gateway Regional Jr. High took part, with one scoring the highest number of points for their robot challenge.
Photo (right): Alina Samoylenko, Jessica Garriepy and Mega Jacques concentrate on designing and programming their winning robot.
EDUCATION FOUNDATION TO TAKE PART IN "VALLEY GIVES" DAY: This will be the third time that the education foundation has participated and hopes to raise $10,000 this year on December 10. Read the article to learn how you can help!
SR. CITIZENS: PLEASE RSVP FOR ANNUAL BRUNCH/CONCERT: Area Sr. Citizens are invited to the annual Holiday Brunch and Concert on Wednesday, December 3. Please RSVP by November 25.
PUBLIC INVITED TO ATTEND, SPEAK AT DESE NEEDS CONFERENCE: Part of the "Worthington Withdrawal" process, the hearing will be held on Wednesday, December 3 from 6:30 - 9 p.m. in the Gateway Performing Arts Center. All are invited to attend; please read the article for more information. In related news...
WORTHINGTON WITHDRAWAL BLOG ON GATEWAY WEBSITE: A new blog on the Worthington Withdrawal has been added to the Gateway website and is linked from its home page. Parents, students, staff and community members are invited to view the blog posts and share their comments.
THANKSGIVING RECESS: The article details days that schools are closed and the half-day dismissal times for the Thanksgiving break.
COLLEGE WEEK AT GATEWAY: The shortened week of Thanksgiving includes special seminars, workshops and an alumni college panel to help students prepare for colleges and careers.
LITTLEVILLE'S ANNUAL HOLIDAY BAZAAR: Enjoy free admission to the 18th Annual Country Craft Fair, from 9 - 2 on Saturday, November 22nd at the school. Offerings include crafts, vendors, hot soup, baked potatoes, bake sale, raffle and silent auction!
HUNGER GAMES FOOD DRIVE: The Gateway Student Council is sponsoring a food drive through November 21. Students bringing in food items will earn spirit points for their class and be entered into a drawing for a $20 Cinemark Gift Card. May the odds be ever in your favor!
COATS FOR THE COMMUNITY: Please bring washed, gently-used coats to collection boxes at Littleville or the High School (at main entrances during normal school hours). This annual coat drive has collected 224 coats in the last two years. Coats will be distributed to hilltown families from December 1-19 at the Gateway Community Center in Huntington. For questions, please call Rachel LeBarron (667-5773) or Diane Meehan (667-2203).
SOUTHERN HILLTOWNS ADULT EDUCATION CENTER: There’s still time to get tickets for the Friends of SHAEC Cord Wood Raffle. You could win a cord of wood, cut split and delivered! That’s something to be thankful for! To purchase tickets, please send a note with your contact information, including your name, address, phone number and email address the number of tickets you want, and a check to: Friends of SHAEC 12 Littleville Road, Huntington, Ma 01050, or call413-685-1052. Tickets are $5 for one chance, $12 for three, and $20 for five chances to win. Winner to be drawn at random Wednesday, November 26th, and will be notified by phone and email.More classes and upcoming events in the November Course List and November Calendar.
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
AMERICAN EDUCATION WEEK: This week marks American Education Week, an annual celebration of schools by the National Education Association. On a related note, our weblink looks at the 2014 Gallop Poll of Americans concerning public education. Among the findings in Part I: 68% of public school parents feel that standardized tests are not helpful; 50% of public school parents give the nation's schools a grade of C, but 60% of them give their own community schools a grade of A or B.
- FINGERPRINTING NOW REQUIRED OF ALL SCHOOL STAFF: Under a new Massachusetts law, all employees working in all schools (public and private) must submit to fingerprinting, at their own expense.
- EARLY RELEASE DAY NOVEMBER 18: Read the complete article for dismissal times.
- CHESTER HOSTING "BINGO FOR BOOKS" NOVEMBER 19: Parents are asked to please RSVP by Tuesday, November 11. Every child will receive a free book and get a chance to win additional books; the event includes dinner.
- PENNY SOCIAL FUNDRAISER: The humble penny will come up big for some lucky shoppers at the choirs annual penny social on Friday, November 21.
- COLLEGE FINANCING WORKSHOP: This free, comprehensive presentation on college financing will be offered on Monday, November 24 at 6 p.m. in the Gateway Performing Arts Center, and will be offered by the Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority (MEFA).
- WINTER SPORTS TRYOUTS: Sign-ups are underway for the winter sports season, which includes wrestling, downhill skiing, plus boys and girls basketball. Tryouts will begin on Monday, December 1st. Please check the high school athletics website for more details.
- NOVEMBER CALENDAR HIGHLIGHTS: The month includes a 2-hour earlier release, an extended Veterans' Day weekend for students; and adjourning for the Thanksgiving break for a half-day on Wednesday, November 26 and extending through the weekend.
- VHS TO DVD-R CONVERSION: The Gateway News Network (GNN) is once again holding a fundraiser for new equipment by converting home videos and educational videos from VHS to DVD.
- QUICKLINK TO THE HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS SCHEDULE: The Gateway sports schedule is posted on the high school website this year, in the "Athletics" drop-down menu.
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SERVICES AVAILABLE IN THE HILLTOWNS: Hilltown Safety at Home (HS@H) provides a part-time domestic violence Advocate to hilltown residents who call 413-559-8039. If you need help in an emergency, call 911 or the Safe Passage hotline at 1-888-345-5282.
- GATEWAY SCHOOL SAFETY HOTLINE: Students, parents, staff and community members are reminded that any school safety concern can be reported to our hotline by calling 685-1050.
- GATEWAY SAFE SCHOOLS PLAN: In the event of an emergency at your child's school, please do not call or drive to your child's school. We need to keep phone lines and roadways clear in an emergency. Please remain by your phone and wait for information and instructions from school staff, which will be sent using our auto-dialer.Parents are advised to keep school secretaries up-to-date with their contact information.
IN CLOSING, the latest Superintendent's Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson explains a number of upcoming expenses for the district. Read the complete column for details.
Wendy V. Long, Editor
To subscribe or unsubscribe to this newsletter, send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email email@example.com
© 2014, Gateway Regional School District