Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is your new issue of Breaking News -- the e-newsletter of the Gateway Regional School District. We are always looking for feedback and ideas to improve the newsletter, so please feel free to contact us!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "If you want to know what society's going to be like in 20 years, ask a Kindergarten teacher." - Clifford Stall
SCHOOL COMMITTEE: The School Committee will meet on Wednesday, September 10 at 7:30 p.m. at Middlefield Town Hall. The public is invited and welcome to attend. The first agenda item of every school committee meeting is hearing issues that are not on the posted agenda. Please note that any questions or concerns should first be brought to the appropriate district staff member (i.e. a specific teacher, principal or Central Office staff member).
|SMOOTH OPENING DAY FOR GATEWAY SCHOOLS: "This was probably the smoothest opening in my five years with the district," reported K-6 Principal Megan Coburn.
Photo (right): First grader D. Nazzaro and mother Melissa arrive at Littleville Elementary School on opening day.
ROD KLEBER SELECTED, SCORED AP EXAMS: Gateway's Rod Kleber scored over 900 essays--an average of 150 each day--when he joined high school teachers and college professors to score Advanced Placement exams in English Literature and Composition.
SEPTEMBER EARLY RELEASE DAY: Read the article for dismissal times and details on the September 9 early release day for professional development.
BAND RENTAL NIGHT IS SEPTEMBER 3: Members of the Grade 5 (or upper grades) band who need to lease or purchase a musical instrument are invited to the Rental Night on Wednesday, September 3 at 6 p.m. in the entry-way of the Gateway MS/JR/SRHS building.
SCHOOL-BASED HEALTH CENTER INTERIM MEDICAL COVERAGE: Hilltown Community Health Centers, which run the Gateway School-Based Health Center (SBHC), staff are currently interviewing candidates to replace Nurse Practitioner Eileen Hirsch who left this summer. In the interim, HCHC staff will be covering a part-time schedule at the SBHC. Students who need a medical appointment may see Ms. Phillips to schedule. The Gateway SBHC provides quality health care during school hours. Counselor Suzanne Kresiak has returned and is taking appointments. Enrollment forms will be sent home in the next few weeks. Stop in and visit during Open Houses! For more information, visit our website.
UPDATE ON PRESCHOOL START: Parents of students attending Gateway's full day or morning Preschool Program are advised that classes begin on Tuesday, September 9. Students enrolled in the afternoon program (only) will start on Wednesday, September 10. Additional information will go directly to those families.
SOUTHERN HILLTOWNS ADULT EDUCATION CENTER: September offerings include an Introduction to Windows 8 on September 2 in Russell; a Pickling and Fermanetation Class on September 5 in Middlefield, and Microsoft Word 2010 Part 1 on September 9. Click for the September calendar and Course descriptions for more information.
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
44 PROVEN IDEAS PARENTS CAN USE TO HELP KIDS DO BETTER IN SCHOOL: From the "Reading is Fundamental" website.
- ONLINE GRADE ACCESS FOR PARENTS: Parents/guardians of students in grades 5-12 are reminded that they can access their student's assignments, home, grades and attendance online.
- FEES MAY BE PAID ONLINE: A reminder that fees for everything from athletics to replacing student I.D.'s may be paid online. Click here to get to that webpage.
- SCHOOLS CLOSED FOR LABOR DAY: All Gateway schools will be closed on Monday, September 1 for the holiday. The Gateway Wellness Center and Littleville Wrap Around program will also be closed.
- WELLNESS CENTER HOURS CHANGE: Effective Tuesday, September 2, the Wellness Center will be open an additional 5 hours per week, and now offers a Saturday morning yoga class.
- SAVE THE DATE FOR COLLEGE WORKSHOP: Gateway seniors and their parents/guardians are invited to attend on September 25 at 6 p.m.
- LUNCH MENU: Meal prices remain at $1.25 for breakfast and $2.25 for elementary schools ($2.50 for grades 5-12) for lunch. Free or Reduced Meals applications are posted.
- QUICKLINKS: Click titles for the 2014-15 School Year Calendar, and for getting a head start on back-to-school Parent Forms. You can also get a jump on paying for things like parking passes, school meals and athletic fees online.
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SERVICES AVAILABLE IN THE HILLTOWNS: Hilltown Safety at Home (HS@H) provides a part-time domestic violence Advocate to hilltown residents who call 413-559-8039. If you need help in an emergency, call 911 or the Safe Passage hotline at 1-888-345-5282.
- GATEWAY SCHOOL SAFETY HOTLINE: Students, parents, staff and communitymembers are reminded that any school safety concern can be reported to our hotline by calling 685-1050.
- GATEWAY SAFE SCHOOLS PLAN: In the event of an emergency at your child's school, please do not call or drive to your child's school. We need to keep phone lines and roadways clear in an emergency. Please remain by your phone and wait for information and instructions from school staff, which will be sent using our auto-dialer. Parents are advised to keep school secretaries up-to-date with their contact information.
IN CLOSING, this week's Superintendent's Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson reports two changes for the 2014-15 school year: a 7-period block for the high school, and a Chromebook pilot for grades 3 and 6. Read the complete column for details.
Wendy V. Long, Editor
To subscribe or unsubscribe to this newsletter, send an email request to email@example.com.
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2014, Gateway Regional School District