Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is this week's issue of Breaking News -- the weekly e-newsletter of the Gateway Regional School District. We are always looking for feedback and ideas to improve the newsletter, so please feel free to contact us!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." - William Butler Yeats
SCHOOL COMMITTEE: The School Committee will to meet on Wednesday, May 14 at 7:30 p.m. in the Learning Resource Center (2nd floor). The public is invited and welcome to attend. The first agenda item of every school committee meeting is hearing issues that are not on the posted agenda. Please note that any questions or concerns should first be brought to the appropriate district staff member (i.e. a specific teacher, principal or Central Office staff member).
|NIGHT OF A MILLION BOOKS KICKS-OFF APRIL 29: The entire community is invited to take part in this free event, which includes dinner, child-care, guest speakers and a brief reading from this year's book, "Young Men and Fire" by Norman MacLean.
Photo (right): The Tekoa Mountain fire of November, 2001, one of the Gateway communities' stories of fire. Republican staff photo by Christopher Evans. Used by permission.
UPCOMING EVENTS AT GATEWAY: Schools reopen on Friday, April 25 and the HS Social Club is hosting a "Minute to Win It" fundraiser that evening; the community-wide book read ("Young Men and Fire") kicks off at Gateway on Tuesday evening (feature story, above); the National Honor Society's Induction Ceremony is Wednesday, April 30 at 6 p.m. in the Gateway Performing Arts Center.
ROBIN HOOD AT GATEWAY: Grace LeBarron stars as Robin hood in this two-act musical, which portrays the classic tale (with some twists) of a local hero who robs the rich to help the poor. In the Gateway Performing Arts Center on May 2 and 3 at 7 p.m.; tickets at the door.
ANNUAL PASTA DINNER AND RAFFLE: Chester Elementary School's PTO is holding their 10th Annual Pasta Supper and Raffle on Friday, May 2. Save money by ordering dinner tickets early!
EARLY COLLEGE AWARENESS WORKSHOP FOR FRESHMEN, SOPHOMORES: The Gateway HS Guidance Department will offer this informative workshop on May 1st.
NHS INDUCTION ON APRIL 30: The Dana O. Webber Chapter of the National Honor Society will hold its annual Induction Ceremony for new members at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, April 30 in the Gateway Performing Arts Center.
ABC 40 MUSIC COMPETITION: ABC 40 was at Gateway Regional High School this week to film a performance by the Jazz Band. On Monday, April 21, WGGB will post this film as part of a contest between area music groups. Please go to their website and vote for Gateway High School's Jazz Band! The top three vote getters will win live performances on WGGB and prizes for their school!
ANNUAL TOWN MEETING DATES: Registered voters will consider the Gateway 2014-15 Budget at their Annual Town Meetings in Worthington (Saturday, May 3 at 9 a.m.); Middlefield (Saturday, May 3 at 1:30 p.m.); Blandford (Monday, May 5 at 7 p.m.); Montgomery (Monday, May 19 at 7:30 p.m.); Huntington (Monday, June 2 at 7 p.m.); Chester (Saturday, June 7, time TBA) and Russell (May 12, time TBA).
ADULT EDUCATION UPDATE: Upcoming workshops include: Birds in Winter: Strategies for Winter Survival on April 24 from 3-5 p.m. in Russell; and Microsoft Publisher Basics (Wednesday April 30 at Gateway; Tuesday May 20 in Russell). Check the April Calendar and April Course Offerings list for details.
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
ADMINISTRATIVE PROFESSIONALS DAY: Next Wednesday, April 23, is Administrative Professionals Day. Click the main title to learn more about this holiday, and don't forget to thank Gateway's secretaries the next time they assist you!
- MINUTE TO WIN IT AT GATEWAY APRIL 25: The high school's "Social Club"will host their popular annual FUNdraiser and make returning from Spring Break a day early fun! Prizes include Red Sox tickets, Springfield Falcons tickets and movie passes.
- KINDERGARTEN SCREENINGS MAY 30 AND JUNE 2: Gateway elementary schools will hold screenings for any child who will be age 5 on or before September 1, 2014.
- ALUMNI, COMMUNITY INVITED TO TOUR GATEWAY: At the request of a new Wellness Center member (who is also an alum!) we are offering tours of the Gateway complex as part of the 50th anniversary year on May 8.
- GATEWAY ATHLETIC BOOSTER CLUB SEEKS 'HALL OF FAME' NOMINATIONS: The Hall of Fame honors athletes, coaches and others who have made significant contributions to Gateway through their participation in, or association with, Gateway athletics. Nominations are due by May 20.
- WELLNESS CENTER HOURS CHANGE APRIL 28: The Gateway Wellness Center will move to its spring schedule on Monday, April 28.
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SERVICES AVAILABLE IN THE HILLTOWNS: Hilltown Safety at Home (HS@H) provides a part-time domestic violence Advocate to hilltown residents who call 413-559-8039. The Advocate can help with safety planning, with understanding people who abuse, with understanding the court system, with transportation to court if needed, and with accessing critical support services. The Advocate can work with people on the phone or in person, and can also help friends and family members who are trying to support a loved one who is being abused. If you need help in an emergency, call 911 or the Safe Passage hotline at 1-888-345-5282.
- SCHOOLS CLOSE FOR SPRING VACATION: All schools will be closed April 18 for Good Friday, April 21 for Patriot's Day and April 22-24 for spring break. A reminder that classes resume on Friday, April 25 due to the number of snow days we've had.
- ALUMNI REMINDED TO RSVP FOR ALUMNI CHORUS: A reminder that all alumni planning to take part in this spring's Alumni Chorus are asked to email Gateway Choral Director Jerilyn Beauregard (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 24 to indicate that you will take part. Please read the complete article for rehearsal and performance details. Everyone is invited to save the date for the HS Spring Concert on May 8.
- PRESCHOOL SCREENING ON MAY 20: A free, developmental screening for young children will be held on May 20 from 8-11 a.m. Screenings are by appointment only and will take about an hour. Call 685-1017 (or email email@example.com ) to schedule.
- SAVE THE DATE FOR ROBIN HOOD; POSTER CONTEST ENTRIES DUE 4/11: The Jr. HS and Middle School production of Robin Hood will be performed on May 2 and May 3 at 7 p.m. Tickets (at the door) will be $5 for adults and $3 for students and senior citizens. Students in grades 5-8 are invited to take part in a poster contest for the play! Dates, times and ticket prices must be clearly posted. Please submit designs to Dawne Piers-Gamble by April 11. Artists with the top three designs will receive prizes and their posters will be used to advertise the play!
- APRIL VACATION NOW SHORTENED: Students will return one day early from April Break, due to the snowy, icy winter this year. If we miss any additional days, additional days will be taken from the break. Also remember: the April vacation week dates changed last fall, so be sure you are looking at the correct calendar!
- HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS SCHEDULE: Gator fans are reminded that the complete sports calendar is located here! Read the complete article for details on admission and the two free games for button wearers in January.
- GATEWAY SCHOOL SAFETY HOTLINE: Students, parents, staff and community members are reminded that any school safety concern can be reported to our hotline by calling 685-1050.
- GATEWAY SAFE SCHOOLS PLAN: In the event of an emergency at your child's school, please do not call or drive to your child's school. We need to keep phone lines and roadways clear in an emergency. Please remain by your phone and wait for information and instructions from school staff, which will be sent using our auto-dialer. It is important that parents keep school secretaries up-to-date with their contact information.
IN CLOSING, this week's Superintendent's Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson invites everyone to participate in this year's "Night of a Million Books." Read the entire column for details.
Wendy V. Long, Editor
To subscribe or unsubscribe to this newsletter, send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email email@example.com
© 2014, Gateway Regional School District