Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is your new issue of Breaking News -- the e-newsletter of the Gateway Regional School District. We are always looking for feedback and ideas to improve the newsletter, so please feel free to contact us!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more." - Melody Beattie
SCHOOL COMMITTEE: The next meeting of the Gateway Regional School Committee will be on Wednesday, December 17 in the Gateway Library/Media Center. Agenda items include the FY '16 budget; FY '15 9C Budget Cuts; the Worthington Withdrawal; Superintendent's Goals; School Committee Self-Evaluation; Boys' and Girls' State Discussion; Parking Fees; PARCC Presentation; Winter Bussing; National Public Schools That Work Resolution; Review of One-Man/One-Vote Amendments; and MARS 9C Effects Regional Transportation. Starting this week, school committee meetings will begin at 7 p.m. (a half hour earlier) to provide additional time for budget. The first agenda item of every school committee meeting is hearing issues that are not on the posted agenda. (Please note that any questions or concerns should first be brought to the appropriate district staff member, i.e. a specific teacher, principal or Central Office staff member).
COMING UP AT GATEWAY: High School play tryouts are Monday and Wednesday after school this week in the auditorium; students have a 2-hour early release day on Tuesday, 12/16; the school committee meets Wednesday, 12/17 at 7 p.m.; the high school concert is Thursday, 12/18 at 7 p.m. in the Gateway Performing Arts Center; Gateway's "As Schools Match Wits" match against St. Joseph's High School will air on WGBY (Springfield Public TV) on Saturday, December 20 at 7 p.m.
THE GATEWAY GIVING TREE: Continuing its annual tradition, Gateway staff members secured holiday gifts for fifty hilltown children in need. Participating staff represent every part of the district: teachers, paraprofessionals, secretaries, custodians, food services and central office.
Photo (right): The "Giving Tree" in the Gateway Central Office.
FOUNDATION THANKS 'VALLEY GIVES' DONORS: With nearly $5,500 received and more coming in daily, the Gateway Education Foundation thanks the staff, parents, alumni and community members who took part on December 10. Funding arrived just in time: the Board will announce a new round of Funds for Learning applications later this week.
SOCK DRIVE FOR NEEDY FAMILIES: Two students from Gateway Regional Jr. High are spearheading a sock drive through January 12. Collection boxes are located at Gateway schools and the Porter Memorial Library in Blandford. All sizes (infant through adult) are needed.
WINTER SPORTS START THIS WEEK: The basketball and wrestling teams open their seasons on the road this week. The Boy's Basketball home opener is Monday, December 22 against Holyoke Catholic (JV at 5, Varsity at 6:30 p.m.); the Girls face Westfield Voke at home on Tuesday, December 30 (Varsity only at 6 p.m.). The Alpine Ski Team begins racing at Berkshire East on Thursday, January 8; the Wrestling Team is on the road until Wednesday, January 14 when they meet Franklin Tech. Sports schedules are subject to change. If in doubt, call the Gator Line (685-1111) or click here.
GNN BROADCAST FOR DECEMBER: The Gateway Broadcasting class has issued a new film, with stories about holiday movies, sports, the Thanksgiving power outage, world wide weather, and a report on the film class's field trip to NE Studios and Emerson College.
ADULT EDUCATION UPDATE: A reminder that the Southern Hilltowns Adult Education Center is sponsoring a workshop on Google Search Techniques (Tuesday, 12/16 from 10-11:30 a.m. at the Russell Senior Center). Please call 685-1052 to register or email Southernhilltownsaec@gmail.com.
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
APPS TO SHARE WITH CHILDREN: The Harvard Family Research Project reminds adults to guide children's use of apps to make sure that kids are appropriately engaged and inspired. Click the title for a listing of this year's best apps to share with the children in your life!
- HOLIDAY CONCERTS AT GATEWAY: Parents, community members and alumni are invited to the holiday concerts taking place next week in the Gateway Performing Arts Center.
- SCHOOLS, OFFICES WILL CLOSE FOR HOLIDAY BREAK: All schools and offices will be closed from December 24 through January 2 for the break. Wrap Around and Wellness Center schedules are detailed in the complete article.
- DECEMBER EARLY RELEASE DAY: Students will have an early release on Tuesday, December 16.
- WORTHINGTON WITHDRAWAL BLOG ON GATEWAY WEBSITE: A new blog on the Worthington Withdrawal has been added to the Gateway website and is linked from its home page. Parents, students, staff and community members are invited to view the blog posts and share their comments.
- VHS TO DVD-R CONVERSION: The Gateway News Network (GNN) is once again holding a fundraiser for new equipment by converting home videos and educational videos from VHS to DVD.
- QUICKLINK TO THE HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS SCHEDULE: The Gateway sports schedule is posted on the high school website this year, in the "Athletics" drop-down menu.
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SERVICES AVAILABLE IN THE HILLTOWNS: Hilltown Safety at Home (HS@H) provides a part-time domestic violence Advocate to hilltown residents who call 413-559-8039. If you need help in an emergency, call 911 or the Safe Passage hotline at 1-888-345-5282.
- GATEWAY SCHOOL SAFETY HOTLINE: Students, parents, staff and community members are reminded that any school safety concern can be reported to our hotline by calling 685-1050.
- GATEWAY SAFE SCHOOLS PLAN: In the event of an emergency at your child's school, please do not call or drive to your child's school. We need to keep phone lines and roadways clear in an emergency. Please remain by your phone and wait for information and instructions from school staff, which will be sent using our auto-dialer.Parents are advised to keep school secretaries up-to-date with their contact information.
IN CLOSING, the latest Superintendent's Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson extends his holiday greetings and wishes to families, staff and the broader community. Please read the complete column for details.
Wendy V. Long, Editor
To subscribe or unsubscribe to this newsletter, send an email request to email@example.com.
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2014, Gateway Regional School District