March 3, 2015
Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is your new issue of Breaking News -- the e-newsletter of the Gateway Regional School District. We are always looking for feedback and ideas to improve the newsletter, so please feel free to contact us!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "Autumn arrives in early morning, but spring at the close of a winter day." - Elizabeth Bowen
SCHOOL COMMITTEE: The Annual Budget Hearing is Wednesday, March 4 at 7 p.m. in the Gateway Performing Arts Center. Click here for information on March School Committee meetings. The first agenda item of every school committee meeting is hearing issues that are not on the posted agenda. (Please note that any questions or concerns should first be brought to the appropriate district staff member, i.e. a specific teacher, principal or Central Office staff member).
THE COMING WEEK AT GATEWAY: Littleville PTO meets tonight (3/3) at 5:30 p.m. at the school; the Annual Budget Hearing on the 2015-16 Gateway Budget is Wednesday night at 7 p.m. in the Gateway Performing Arts Center (public welcome!); the annual Cabin Fever Concert for musicians in grades 5-8 is at 6:30 p.m. in the Gateway Performing Arts Center; a reminder that Parent-Teacher Conferences are cancelled due to budget cuts, but Monday (3/9) is still a "no school" day for students; and students have a 2-hour early release day on Tuesday, March 10.
| NEW NURSE PRACTITIONER AT SCHOOL-BASED HEALTH CENTER: Introducing Jessica Twombly, the new Family Nurse Practitioner at the Gateway School-Based Health Center. Jessica is available as a primary care provider for your Gateway student (K - 12) and will be available in the summertime at the Huntington Health Center. Students may enroll anytime!
Photo (right): Jessica Twombly, Family Nurse Practitioner at the Gateway School-Based Health Center.
CONGRATULATIONS GATEWAY SKIERS! Pictured (left to right) are sophomore Shannon Burke and seniors Austin Herman and Hannah Green, who all qualified for the state individual ski championships held at Wachusett Mountain on February 24. Herman was the top Gateway finisher, placing 20th in the slalom race and 10th in the giant slalom (out of 148 skiers).
BLOOD DRIVE AT GATEWAY MARCH 20: The Blood Drive will be held from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Gateway Regional High School on Friday, March 20. According to the American Red Cross, someone in America needs blood every two seconds.
GATEWAY STUDENTS FEATURED IN DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PSA: Several Gateway high school students were featured in the most recent Public Service Announcement (PSA) from the Southern Hilltowns Domestic Violence Task Force. Left to right, the students are sophomore Rachel LeBarron, freshman Chloe Otterbeck and senior Sarah Otterbeck. (The ad also includes a number of Gateway alumni!)
MARCH CALENDAR HIGHLIGHTS: Monday, March 9 remains a day off for students and Parent-Teacher Conferences are cancelled due to budget cuts. There is also a two-hour early release day on Tuesday, March 10.
LITTLEVILLE KINDNESS CHALLENGE YIELDS ADDED BENEFIT FOR ANIMALS: As part of the week-long Kindness Challenge at Littleville Elementary School, first grade students collected 22 pounds of dog and cat food for the Berkshire Humane Society. BHS educator Mary Koncel came to the school on February 13 to accept the donation, and teach children about pet care, pet needs and pet safety.
SPRING SPORTS SEASON: Athletic Director Matt Bonenfant has announced that spring tryouts begin Monday, March 16 for softball and baseball. Details are listed on the high school athletics website. Athletic Handbooks are also on the web and available in the Jr./Sr. HS Office or the Athletic Director's office. The Gateway School-Based Health Center is available to provide sports physicals.
HIGH SCHOOL TALENT SHOW MARCH 13: Students will sing, perform on instruments, and even present a comedy act at this annual fundraiser for the Yearbook. Admission is $5 and the public is welcome. The event runs from 7-10 p.m. in the Gateway Performing Arts Center.
WRAP AROUND PROGRAM CLOSED ON SNOW DAYS: The LIttleville Wrap Around Program will not open on snow days for the remainder of this winter season, due to low participation.
FAMILY CENTER NEWS: The Gateway Family Center is offering two workshops this week: "Nurturing Your Baby" on Thursday, 3/5 and "Nurturing Your Child" on Friday, 3/6. For more information (or to RSVP) please contact Kim Savery at 667-2203 (or email email@example.com ).
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
READ ACROSS AMERICA DAY: Yesterday marked the birthday of Theodor Seuss Geisel (better known as "Dr. Seuss"), which is used by the National Education Association to commemorate "Read Across America" Day. Chester and Littleville Elementary Schools received visits from members of Gateway's National Honor Society, who visited and read to students. Click here for more information.
- YEARBOOKS STILL ON SALE: The 2015 Portal, Gateway Regional High School's Yearbook, is still on sale, but with limited copies remaining. The price is now $55. Please contact Avery Wing (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- WORTHINGTON WITHDRAWAL BLOG ON GATEWAY WEBSITE: A new blog on the Worthington Withdrawal has been added to the Gateway website and is linked from its home page. Parents, students, staff and community members are invited to view the blog posts and share their comments.
- VHS TO DVD-R CONVERSION: The Gateway News Network (GNN) is once again holding a fundraiser for new equipment by converting home videos and educational videos from VHS to DVD.
- QUICKLINK TO THE HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS SCHEDULE: The Gateway sports schedule is posted on the high school website this year, in the "Athletics" drop-down menu.
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SERVICES AVAILABLE IN THE HILLTOWNS: Hilltown Safety at Home (HS@H) provides a part-time domestic violence Advocate to hilltown residents who call 413-559-8039. If you need help in an emergency, call 911 or the Safe Passage hotline at 1-888-345-5282.
- GATEWAY SCHOOL SAFETY HOTLINE: Students, parents, staff and community members are reminded that any school safety concern can be reported to our hotline by calling 685-1050.
- GATEWAY SAFE SCHOOLS PLAN: In the event of an emergency at your child's school, please do not call or drive to your child's school. We need to keep phone lines and roadways clear in an emergency. Please remain by your phone and wait for information and instructions from school staff, which will be sent using our auto-dialer.Parents are advised to keep school secretaries up-to-date with their contact information.
IN CLOSING, this week's Superintendent's Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson reports that the percent of town budgets spent on education (both Gateway and vocational schools) has actually decreased by over 5% over the past five years.. Please read the complete column for details.
Wendy V. Long, Editor
To subscribe or unsubscribe to this newsletter, send an email request to email@example.com.
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2015, Gateway Regional School District