Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is your new issue of Breaking News -- the e-newsletter of the Gateway Regional School District. We are always looking for feedback and ideas to improve the newsletter, so please feel free to contact us!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "There's no harm in hoping for the best, as long as you're prepared for the worst." - Stephen King
SCHOOL COMMITTEE: Click here for highlights from the September 24 school committee meeting. The next school committee meeting will be Wednesday, October 8 at 7:30 p.m. at Montgomery Town Hall. The public is invited and welcome to attend. The first agenda item of every school committee meeting is hearing issues that are not on the posted agenda. Please note that any questions or concerns should first be brought to the appropriate district staff member (i.e. a specific teacher, principal or Central Office staff member).
COMING UP AT GATEWAY: Littleville Picture Day is Wednesday, October 1; Chester's Picture Day is Friday, 10/3; The Chester PTO meets Monday, 10/6 at 6 p.m.; the Littleville PTO meetings Tuesday, 10/7 at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday (10/7) is also a 2-hour early release day for staff professional development.
|GATEWAY PROJECTS AWAIT FUNDING: The Gateway Education Foundation's Board met last week to disburse $3,000 through its Funds For Learning program, only to discover they had $10,000 in applications.
Photo (right): the Gateway Education Foundation logo, designed by Tyler Craig, Class of 2008.
GATEWAY OPEN HOUSE OCTOBER 9: Parents/guardians of students attending the Middle School, Jr. High and Sr. High schools are invited to an Open House on the Gateway campus on Thursday, October 9 from 6 - 7:30 p.m.
OCTOBER CALENDAR: This busy month features an early release day (10/7), a holiday (10/13) and a staff professional development day (10/14), which is a "no-school" day for students.
ELEMENTARY PICTURE DAYS: A reminder that Littleville's "Picture Day" will be Wednesday, October 1; Chester's will be Friday, October 3.
LITTLEVILLE VOLUNTEER NEEDS: A special thank you to the parents and community members who responded to our need for library volunteers. We still have a need for Monday volunteers (half-day or full day) for Littleville's Library, as well as people who could be called upon to substitute for regular library volunteers. Please contact Bill Brown (email@example.com or call 685-1106) if you are interested. Also, volunteers are needed for the Parent Center--a group that does volunteer tasks for teachers. Send contact information to the school office, to the attention of Paula.
OCTOBER SCHOOL COMMITTEE MEETINGS: The committee concludes its "road tour" this month, with meetings in Montgomery and Chester.
UPCOMING COLLEGE VISITS: The following colleges will be available to meet with students in the Gateway Career Center: Tuesday, 9/30: Bay State College (1 p.m.); Wednesday, 10/1: Southern New Hampshire University (8 a.m.) and Unity College (1 p.m.); Friday, 10/3: Johnson State College (9:30 a.m.); Thursday, 10/9: Southern Vermont College (11:30 a.m.); Friday, 10/10: Champlain College (8:30 a.m.). Interested juniors and seniors should sign up ahead of time in Guidance.
GATEWAY FAMILY CENTER NEWS: "Growing up Wild: Exploring Nature with Young Children" will be held on Saturday, October 25 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; $35 registration fee; deadline to register is October 11. For more information or to register, please contact Kim Savery (667-2203 ext. 3 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
SOUTHERN HILLTOWNS ADULT EDUCATION CENTER: October begins with a basic computer troubleshooting class on Wednesday, October 1 from 3-5 p.m. in the Gateway classroom. Also, a new GED/HiSET Class Registration will take place on Monday, October 6 from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. in the Gateway classroom. Click for the October Calendar and Course Listings for more information.
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
TOGETHER, WE'RE READY: September is National Preparedness Month, and the Massachusetts 'Health and Human Serivces' website has a great deal of information for individuals and families who wish to plan and prepare for the next big storm, power outage, or other disaster. (Hint - Hilltowners are incredibly self-reliant in extended power outages; what most of us DON'T know how to do well is evacuate!). Check out the website for more information.
- CHESTER PTO HEATING OIL RAFFLE: Only 300 tickets will be sold and the drawing takes place November 1.
- WEIGHT WATCHERS RETURNING TO GATEWAY: Gateway Regional is hosting a Weight Watchers at Work program this fall, which is again open to community members.
- BAND BAKE SALE AT HUNTINGTON'S FALL FESTIVAL: The Gateway bands will hold a bake sale to benefit the music department at Huntington's Fall Festival on October 4 and 5. If you attend, please consider this great cause!
- ENTOVIRUS HAS REACHED MASSACHUSETTS: This virus impacts children and can be dangerous for children who already have respiratory challenges, such as asthma. Click here for more information.
- WHITE'S RETIREMENT PARTY OCTOBER 17: Ticket information is included in this article.
- GATEWAY OFFERS ADULT EDUCATION MINI-COURSES:Offerings, ranging from bird watching to Tai Chi, start in October and will be filled on a first come, first served basis. Click for a registration packet.
- QUICKLINK TO THE HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS SCHEDULE: The Gateway sports schedule is posted on the high school website this year, in the "Athletics" drop-down menu.
- REGISTER NOW FOR PSATs: This practice test for the Sat exam (given at Gateway on October 15) is recommended for high school sophomores and juniors who are considering attending a four-year college. A $14 test fee is due at sign-up, but fee waivers are available for 11th graders (only) who receive free/reduced lunch. Last day to sign up is October 8. Call 685-1107 if you have questions.
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SERVICES AVAILABLE IN THE HILLTOWNS: Hilltown Safety at Home (HS@H) provides a part-time domestic violence Advocate to hilltown residents who call 413-559-8039. If you need help in an emergency, call 911 or the Safe Passage hotline at 1-888-345-5282.
- GATEWAY SCHOOL SAFETY HOTLINE: Students, parents, staff and communitymembers are reminded that any school safety concern can be reported to our hotline by calling 685-1050.
- GATEWAY SAFE SCHOOLS PLAN: In the event of an emergency at your child's school, please do not call or drive to your child's school. We need to keep phone lines and roadways clear in an emergency. Please remain by your phone and wait for information and instructions from school staff, which will be sent using our auto-dialer. Parents are advised to keep school secretaries up-to-date with their contact information.
IN CLOSING, the latest Superintendent's Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson discusses the school committee's decision to begin meetings at 7 p.m. during budget season. Read the complete column for details.
Wendy V. Long, Editor
To subscribe or unsubscribe to this newsletter, send an email request to email@example.com.
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2014, Gateway Regional School District