December 3, 2013
Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is this week's issue of Breaking News -- the weekly e-newsletter of the Gateway Regional School District. You may check in on our website each week or subscribe by contacting the editor (information at the bottom of this page). Subscribers receive Breaking News in an email. We are always looking for feedback and ideas to improve the newsletter, so please feel free to contact us!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "A child needs a grandparent, anybody's grandparent, to grow a little more securely into an unfamiliar world." - Charles and Ann Morse
SCHOOL COMMITTEE: The School Committee will meet at the Gateway complex on Wednesday, December 11, at 7:30 p.m. in the Gateway Library/Media Center (2nd floor).The public is invited and welcome to attend. The first agenda item of every school committee meeting is hearing issues that are not on the posted agenda. (Please note that any questions or concerns should first be brought to the appropriate district staff member (i.e. a specific teacher, principal or Central Office staff member). Click here for more information about December meetings.
|GRANDPARENT AND GRANDFRIEND DAY AT LITTLEVILLE AND CHESTER: The schools hosted their first ever "Grandparent and Grandfriend Day" on Tuesday, November 26 with over 250 grand guests taking part.
Photo (right) Fourth graders Rian G. and Dakota W. work on an activity with Dakota's grandmother.
| FORMER STANDOUT RUNNER THANKS CHILDREN: Jesse Howes, a former standout cross country runner for Gateway Regional High School, visited sister Heather Cabral's fourth grade students to thank them for supporting his team in the World's Toughest Mudder earlier in November.
Photo: Artwork created by CES fourth grade students for Jesse Howe's team.
EVENTS SCHEDULED FOR THIS WEEK: We welcome 100 area senior citizens on Wednesday, December 4 for our annual Holiday Brunch and Concert!
DECEMBER IS STUDENT CONCERT SEASON! The month is filled with performances by student musicians and includes a musical and art show by third and fourth graders.
VALLEY GIVES DAY IS NEXT WEEK! Did you know that 88% of households in America donate money to charities? The Gateway Education Foundation is taking part again in this day of giving, and you can support Gateway students and classrooms by donating at www.ValleyGivesDay.org on 12/12/13. This year, we have anonymous donors lined up to match the first $500 given by Gateway staff, parents, alumni and community members! Please consider a gift to the foundation. Click here for more information (in a 4 minute film) on the important educational work supported by our Foundation.
GATEWAY NEWS NETWORK VIDEO: Click here for the latest GNN Broadcast!
RESCHEDULED 'PAYING FOR COLLEGE' WORKSHOP: Last Tuesday's workshop on paying for college was postponed due to weather. It has been rescheduled for Thursday, December 12 from 6-8 p.m. and will be held in the Jr. High School's double room.
THE WEEK IN PICTURES: Between Grandparents Day, the Alumni College Fair, the Food Drive and the All Class Reunion, last week is deserving of its own photogallery! By the way, the high school collected 580 pounds of food for the Huntington Food Pantry!
ADULT EDUCATION COMPUTER CLASSES: GED classes have started up again on Mondays in December, in SHAEC's Gateway classroom. The Southern Hilltowns Adult Education Center is also offering two free computer classes at the Russell Senior Center in December. On Tuesday, December 3 (10 - 11:30 a.m.) attendees will learn to make a holiday family letter. On Tuesday, December 17, participants will learn to manage their digital photos and movies. Classes will be taught by Heather Morgan and are open to Hilltown residents of all ages. Please call (413) 685-1052 to register for any of these programs.
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
IT'S NATIONAL HAND WASHING WEEK! This week is aimed at reminding all of us on the importance of washing hands when they are dirty and before eating, not coughing or sneezing into our hands, and--above all--not touching our eyes, nose or mouth, in order to stay healthy and prevent the spread of flu and cold viruses.
- 50th ANNIVERSARY CALENDAR FILLING UP! Events include the All Class Reunion, musical performances from alumni musicians, 'Gateway Day' at Blandford Ski Area, and March Madness Mondays at the Gateway Wellness Center. Helpers are needed to plan a spring Road Race!
- LITTLEVILLE LAUNCHES 'GREAT BEDTIME STORY' PAJAMA DRIVE: Each pair collected by December 9th will be given to a Western Mass family in need and matched with a new book from Scholastic. Last year, the school collected 250 pairs!
- CHESTER THIRD GRADERS COLLECT FOR SOLDIER'S HOME: Students in Cindy Stokowski's third grade classroom have launched a collection of personal items and activities for the Soldier's Home in Holyoke, with a goal of collecting and delivering 100 items. Click here for a list of items they are collecting. Students will collect through December 13.
- FOUNDATION SETS DONATION GOALS: This year's Valley Gives Day sets up a friendly competition between staff, parents, alumni and community members. Each group collecting $500 in donations will earn a matching gift of $500 for the Foundation on 12/12/13. The Foundation has funded special educational opportunities for Gateway students, including Littleville's 'Backyard Habitat' project last Spring, glass fusion classes for the Jr. High; a history and engineering study of the Keystone Arches; Chester's summer reading program; the recent Ed Webster visit to schools and the community; field trips to the Mark Twain Museum and Body Worlds Exhibit; and much more.
- COZY COATS FOR THE COMMUNITY: Our Blue & Gold Committee is collecting new and gently used winter coats for area families in need. Last year's collection netting 85 coats! Read student Rachel L.'s article for details on how and where to donate.
- LITTLEVILLE PTO COLLECTING BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION: Each box top is worth a dime and many products are eligible. Click here for a website with the complete list, register to support your child's school, print out monthly coupons, and enter sweepstakes where you might win thousands of box tops for our school. Box tops are collected continuously, so keep clipping, saving and sending them in.
- BUTTONS MARK GATEWAY 50TH! $5 price brings $60 in savings: Buttons commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the Gateway Regional School District are going on sale to students, staff, parents, alumni and community members on November 13! Show your Gator Pride, and get valuable discounts!
- VALLEY GIVES DAY 12/12/13: Valley Gives Day is one month from today! Please consider giving to the Gateway Education Foundation on 12/12! Details to come!
- LITTLEVILLE ONLINE SHOPPING FUNDRAISER: Click the title for information on how to take part in Littleville's online shopping mall, with over 400 merchants including Sears, Kohl's, Target, iTunes and much more! Click the title to learn how to participate!
- GATEWAY SCHOOL SAFETY HOTLINE: October 21-15 is America's Safe Schools Week, and a great time to remind everyone--students, parents, staff and community members--that any school safety concern can be reported to our hotline by calling 685-1050.
- APRIL VACATION CHANGE: Following a telephone survey of Gateway parents and a vote of the School Committee, Spring Break will now begin on Friday, April 18 and extend through the following week (April 21 - 25). The April Early Release Day moves to April 8.
- GATEWAY SAFE SCHOOLS PLAN: In the event of an emergency at your child's school, please do not call or drive to your child's school. We need to keep phone lines and roadways clear in an emergency. Please remain by your phone and wait for information and instructions from school staff, which will be sent using our auto-dialer. It is important that parents keep school secretaries up-to-date with their contact information.
IN CLOSING, this week's Superintendent's Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson explains the "Stacked Ranking" evaluation concept that is being implemented in education, just as its being abandoned by the very businesses that touted it! Read the entire column for details.
Wendy V. Long, Editor
To subscribe or unsubscribe to this newsletter, send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email email@example.com
© 2013, Gateway Regional School District