October 5, 2010
Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is this week’s installment of Gateway’s weekly e-newsletter. Back issues of Breaking News and past Superintendent’s Corners are posted in the GRSD News Archive (under “News” on the district website). As always, your feedback and any suggestions for improvements are welcome.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: “Books are lighthouses erected in the great sea of time." - E.P. Whipple
UPCOMING MEETINGS: The Gateway Regional School Committee will meet at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at Montgomery Town Hall. The public is welcome to attend School Committee meetings, as an important way to learn more about how the district operates. Please note that any questions or concerns should first be brought to the appropriate district staff member (i.e. a specific teacher, principal or Central Office staff member). The first agenda item of every school committee meeting is hearing issues that are not on the posted agenda. The Friends of Gateway will hold their first meeting of the school year on Tuesday, October 5 at 9:30 a.m. in the Superintendent's Office. New members are welcome to join this group, which supports district communications and volunteers.
GATEWAY SCHOOLS CLOSED FOR COLUMBUS DAY: All schools in the Gateway district will be closed on Monday, October 11 for the Columbus Day holiday. The Gateway Wellness Center and Chester Wrap Around Program will be closed. The Littleville Wrap Around Program will be open if enough parents pre-register; please call 685-1340 before or after school.
|ANNUAL MAGAZINE DRIVE UNDERWAY: Funds raised help the Middle School and Jr. High School provide field trips and special programs (40% of sales) and go into individual student accounts (10%) toward field trips and student fees.|
(L to R): A limo ride to lunch is one prize that top sellers can earn with this year's magazine drive.
OCTOBER SCHOOL COMMITTEE MEETINGS: This article has more information about this month's school committee meetings.
LITTLEVILLE PTO MEETING: The Littleville Elementary School PTO will meet on Wednesday, October 6 at 5 p.m. in the school library. Pizza will be served and free childcare will be available. All are welcome!
GATEWAY BAND BOOSTERS TO MEET: The Band Boosters will meet on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. Grades 5 - 7 will meet from 6 - 6:30 p.m.; and grades 8 - 12 will meet from 6:30 - 7 p.m. in the band room. The next meeting will be Tuesday, October 12th. All band parents/guardians are welcome and are encouraged to attend.
OCTOBER CAREER CHAT: Students interested in a career in forensic science may sign up in guidance to attend the October "Career Chat", with Chris Bruneo. This month's chat will be on Wednesday, October 13 in the Career Center, during lunch. Find out how to work in forensics, what a day in the job involves, and how much schooling you will need after high school.
LITTLEVILLE FUNDING FACTORY (r) RECYCLING PROGRAM: Littleville Elementary School is participating in this free fundraiser. Please donate your empty printer cartridges and used cell phones to the school. They will recycle them through the Funding Factory to earn new playground equipment, books and other items for the school. Last year, more than 300 million cartridges were thrown away and 30 million cell phones were tossed or replaced. Help the environment and help Littleville!
UPCOMING COLLEGE REP VISITS FOR HIGH SCHOOL: Holyoke Community College at 8:45 a.m. on 10/7; MA College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences at 8:53 on 10/8; Elms College at 11:15 a.m. on 10/8; Johnson State College at noon on 10/14; University of New Haven at 12:50 p.m. on 10/15; `Bay Path College at 8:53 a.m. on 10/18; and Wheaton College at 1 p.m. on 10/18. This schedule is subject to change and students should check
frequently for additions. Students should sign-up int he Guidance Office
in order to meet with college representatives.
HS NOTES: The Gateway Choirs are selling Pilgrim Candles. Orders and money are due October 8th; see any choir member to order. It is time for Sophomores to order their class rings. Orders will be taken on Friday, October 10th during lunch and require a $50 deposit. Information packets are available in the high school office.
WEBSITE OF THE WEEK: Dedicated to helping Gateway parents raise strong, safe, healthy and high-achieving kids!
INNOVATIONS IN READING: October is National Book Month, and the National Book Foundation awards $2,500 to individuals and organizations that design projects to instill and sustain a lifelong love of reading in children and adults. Read more about some of these interesting programs. Click here for ways to celebrate this month!
- MIDDLE SCHOOL AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM OPENED SEPTEMBER 20: The program will run four afternoons a week, with one late bus day each week. In addition to reading the article, you can download a Letter from Shannon Madden, Coordinator; the After-School Program Schedule of Activities; the Enrollment Form; the Late Bus Schedule; and Parent Consent and a Physician's Medication Order to be used if your student needs to take medication while attending the program.
- CHESTER PTO SPONSORING "WARM YOUR HOME OR FILL YOUR WALLET" RAFFLE: $5 will purchase a chance on 150 gallons of fuel oil, to be delivered by Wheeler Oil of Chester. If you don't use oil, or live outside the district, you can take home a $350 cash prize. Not a bad deal with colder weather and the holidays just around the corner!
- ONLINE ACCESS TO STUDENT GRADES FOR PARENTS/GUARDIANS: Parents/guardians of students in grades 5 - 12 can now monitor their student's assignments, homework, grades and attendance online.
- GATEWAY CONTINUES SCHOOL SAFETY HOTLINE: As part of the district's ongoing commitment to school safety, a school safety hotline is in place for all schools. Anyone wishing to report harassment, bullying, drug or alcohol concerns, vandalism, and school safety issues can call 685-1050.
- TRANSPORTATION UPDATE: Parents/guardians and students are reminded that all Gateway school buses are now at 75% capacity or higher. As a result, we can no longer issue passes to guest riders from other buses.
- The Application for Free and Reduced Lunch
- STUDENT FEES FOR 2010-11: Information on student fees for parking and athletics, and building use fee information are posted in this article.
- HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS SCHEDULE ONLINE: For a look at all of the home and away sports contests this fall, go to highschoolsports.net and enter "01050" for the Gateway HS Sports Calendar.
IN CLOSING, this week's Superintendent's Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson shares reflections on Gateway, and education overall, after attending the National Association of School Business Officials (NASBO) conference. Read the entire column for details!
Have a wonderful week!
Wendy V. Long, Editor
To subscribe or unsubscribe to this newsletter, please send an email request to email@example.com
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email firstname.lastname@example.org© 2010, Gateway Regional School District