Don't miss another issue of Breaking News! Click here to subscribe for an email each time a new issue is posted!
March 12, 2019
Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is the latest issue of Breaking News -- the e-newsletter of the Gateway Regional School District. We are always looking for feedback and ideas to improve the newsletter, so please feel free to contact us!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: “Our future has no violence against women and girls.” – White Ribbon Campaign Website
WEEK AT A GLANCE:
- Tuesday, March 12: 2-Hour Early Release Day; dismissal times: PreK – 11 a.m. with no afternoon PreK; MS/HS at 12:05 p.m.; Chester and Littleville at 1:20 p.m.; Lunch is served, Wrap Around will be open; Special Education Parent Workshop: Starting and Running a Special Education Parent Advisory Council, 6:30 – 8 p.m. in MS 112/114; Please RSVP to 685-1017 or firstname.lastname@example.org;);
- Wednesday, March 13: Gateway Regional School Committee, Joint Meeting with Town Officials; 7 p.m. in MS Rooms 112/114; Public welcome;
- Thursday, March 14: Communications Council, 9 a.m. in Dr. Hopson’s Office;
- Friday, March 15: RED CROSS BLOOD DRIVE, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the HS Gym; Click here to schedule; walk-ins welcome; Middle School Talent Show, 6 – 8 p.m.; Gateway Performing Arts Center; $5 for adults, $3 for students;
- Saturday, March 16: Mass. Music Educators Western District: Junior District Music Festival, UMASS/Amherst;
- Monday, March 18: Spring Sports Tryouts (see below);
- Tuesday, March 19: HALF-DAY (rescheduled from January 9 snow day); MS/HS dismissal 10:35 a.m.; preschool at 11:30 a.m. (no afternoon PreK); elementary schools at 11:40 a.m.; Littleville Wrap Around Open; (Lunch is not served)
For more events, click for our March Counter Card (on display at security and all Gateway offices)
SCHOOL COMMITTEE: The Gateway Regional School Committee will host the Annual Budget Hearing at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, March 6 in the Gateway Performing Arts Center.Click here to see the line item budget for the 2019-20 school year. The public is welcome to attend. Click here for more information on upcoming March meetings.
PHOTO GALLERY OF THE WEEK: Photos from the Cabin Fever Concert last Friday night and today’s presentation of The Yellow Dress. (Photos by Communications Intern Grace LeBarron and high school student John Gaj)
GATEWAY BOYS ADDRESS GENDER-BASED VIOLENCE: A group of students, working with Tom Schiff of Phallacies, organized this year’s White Ribbon Campaign, which this year took to social media messaging and culminated in an assembly led by Hampshire County District Attorney David E. Sullivan. (Article by Sr. Communications Intern Kilee Holmes)
ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT STEPHANIE FISK APPOINTED TO SPECIAL COMMISSION ON TRANSPORTATION: Governor Charlie Baker has announced that Stephanie Fisk has been appointed to serve on a Special Commission to Study and Make Recommendations to Improve Efficiencies Relative to Transportation for Students.
GATEWAY NIGHT AT SPRINGFIELD THUNDERBIRDS TO BE SELLOUT WITH PEDRO MARTINEZ ATTENDING: In what’s sure to be a sellout game on Saturday, April 13, Gateway Night at the Springfield Thunderbirds will include a visit by Pedro Martinez. Click here for a form to order tickets (due with payment by March 29). (Article by Sr. Communications Intern Grace LeBarron)
GATEWAY MOVES TO NEW LUNCH PAYMENT SYSTEM: Responding to needs expressed by Gateway parents, Food Services Director Tasha Hartley has announced that Gateway is implementing a new payment system for breakfast and lunch called “My School Bucks”.
BASEBALL, SOFTBALL TRYOUTS, REGISTRATION ANNOUNCED: Gateway Athletic Director Matt Bonenfant has announced that tryouts for the baseball and softball teams for the MS/HS begin on Monday, March 18. Read the complete article for times and registration information.
EDUCATION FOUNDATION BOARD TO MEET: The Gateway Education Foundation’s Board of Directors is scheduled to meet on Monday, March 25 at 6 p.m. in Dr. Hopson’s Office.
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
MYSCHOOLBUCKS.COM: This week, we announced that the Gateway Food Services Department is switching to MySchoolBucks.com. Through either the MSB website or mobile app, parents can pay into their child’s lunch account, receive an alert when their balance is low, and even monitor their student’s purchases. The title will bring you to general information about MySchoolBucks, and clicking here will bring you to the home page where you can set up an account.
‘STARTING AND RUNNING A SEPAC’: GOAL OF AT LEAST ONE PARENT PER GRADE LEVEL FOR SPECIAL EDUCATION WORKSHOP
DONORS NEEDED FOR UPCOMING BLOOD DRIVE
NEW HALF-DAY SCHEDULED FOR MARCH 19
GATEWAY NIGHT AT THUNDERBIRDS HOCKEY GAME
HIGH SCHOOL IS OFFERING ASVAB EXAM IN APRIL
SPRING SPORTS SIGN-UPS UNDERWAY
GATEWAY LINE ITEM BUDGET UNVEILED
GATEWAY MOBILE APP REMINDER
VHS TO DVD-R FUNDRAISER FOR GATEWAY FILM STUDIES
OPT-IN FOR PARENTS MONITORING INTERNET SAFETY
IN CLOSING, this week's Superintendent's Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson reviews last week’s Budget Hearing and discusses this week’s school committee meeting—scheduled to include a vote to adopt the FY’20 budget and changes to the district’s Regional Agreement. Read the complete column for more information.
Have a great week!
Wendy V. Long, Editor
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email email@example.com
© 2019, Gateway Regional School District