Don't miss another issue of Breaking News! Click here to subscribe for an email each time a new issue is posted!
February 9, 2019
Dear Friends of Gateway:
Here is the latest issue of Breaking News -- the e-newsletter of the Gateway Regional School District. We are always looking for feedback and ideas to improve the newsletter, so please feel free to contact us!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: “Success is not final. Failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston Churchill
WEEK AT A GLANCE:
- Wednesday, February 6: Wrestling Home Meet and Boys Basketball away game are both cancelled;
- Thursday, February 7: Gateway SKI TEAM SR. NIGHT: 5 p.m. at Berkshire East;
- Friday, February 8: Outdoor Club Hike afterschool;
- Saturday, February 9: UMASS Honor Band
- Monday, February 11: Boys Basketball at home vs. John J. Duggan Academy, 5 p.m.; GIRLS BASKETBALL SR. NIGHT vs. Pioneer Valley, 6:30 p.m. in HS Gym;
- Tuesday, February 12: Girls Basketball vs. Ware High School at home; JV at 5, Varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 13: Middle School Talent Show Auditions, afterschool; Superintendent’s Evaluation Subcommittee Meeting, 6 p.m. in Dr. Hopson’s office; Gateway Regional School Committee meeting, 7 p.m. in MS Rooms 112/114; joint budget development meeting with the towns;
- Thursday, February 14: School-Based Health Center at Chester; Communications Council, 9 a.m. in Dr. Hopson’s office; High School Military Careers Workshop, 10 a.m. in the Career Center (sign up in Guidance);
- Friday, February 15: Gateway Boys Basketball Team SR. NIGHT vs. St. Mary’s at home; JV at 5, Varsity at 6:30 p.m.; Family Movie Night: Finding Nemo, 6 p.m. in the Gateway Performing Arts Center; donations at the door; bake sale;
For more events, click for our February Counter Card (on display at security and all Gateway offices)
SCHOOL COMMITTEE TO CONSIDER RESCHEDULING HALF-DAY: The next meeting of the Gateway Regional School Committee will be Wednesday, February 13 at 7 p.m. in MS Rooms 112/114. The committee will be asked to approve a half-day on March 19 to replace the half-day originally scheduled for January 9, which was a snow day, in order to complete training that is required to maintain licensure. This is also a joint budget development meeting with town officials for the 2019-20 school year. The Superintendent’s Evaluation Subcommittee will meet at 6 p.m. that night in Dr. Hopson’s Office. The public is welcome to attend.
PHOTO GALLERY OF THE WEEK: Photos from performances of Cheaper by the Dozen!
GATEWAY SENDS SIX TO PROJECT 351: Project 351 for 2019 kicked off last month by bringing together one eighth grader from every town in the Commonwealth for a day of service. Gateway’s Project 351 Ambassadors were Liam Bowler (Huntington), Natalie Brown (Montgomery), Jordyn DuBour (Russell), Nevaeh Judson (Chester), Olivia Kanner (Blandford), and Carson Savery (Middlefield). (Article by Communications Intern Autumn Marchetto).
SOPHOMORES STAY COMMITTED TO PROJECT 351: In a gentle way, we can all shake the world and sophomores Victoria Kot and Sierra Russell are leaving behind ripples of change! As 8th graders, they were Gateway Ambassadors to Project 351, but have stayed involved with the organization on both a state and local level, ever since. (Article by Communications Intern Kilee Holmes).
GATEWAY CHOIRS TO HOST FAMILY MOVIE NIGHT: Kick off the Winter Break on Friday, Feb. 15 with a family movie night in the Gateway Performing Arts Center. Finding Nemo will be shown at 6 p.m.; donations will be taken at the door in this fundraiser for the Gateway Choirs and their upcoming competition trip.(Article by Communications Intern Parker Atkin)
GATEWAY NIGHT AT THE SPRINGFIELD THUNDERBIRDS APRIL 13: It will also be Pedro Martinez night; Gateway vocalists will sing the national anthem, and the Gateway Education Foundation will be selling ‘Chuck-a-Pucks’ that night. Keep watching this newsletter and red folders for more information coming soon!
SPRING SPORTS SIGN-UPS UNDERWAY: Online sign-ups for baseball and softball are now open on the Gateway website. Tryouts have been scheduled for all teams, beginning Monday, March 18. Times will be posted on the Gateway Athletics page by March 1.
SCHOOLS, OFFICES TO CLOSE FOR WINTER VACATION: All schools and offices in the Gateway Regional School District will be closed February 18-22 for the Winter Break.
WEBLINK OF THE WEEK:
MASSACHUSETTS RANKS FIRST IN THE NATION FOR EDUCATION, AGAIN: Once again, Massachusetts students, staff and schools have taken first place in a series of indicators measuring academic success!
WINTER SPORTS SR. NIGHTS ARE COMING UP
GATEWAY LINE ITEM BUDGET UNVEILED
PARENT INPUT SOUGHT FOR TIERED FOCUSED MONITORING AT GATEWAY
GATEWAY MOBILE APP REMINDER
VHS TO DVD-R FUNDRAISER FOR GATEWAY FILM STUDIES
OPT-IN FOR PARENTS MONITORING INTERNET SAFETY
IN CLOSING, this week's Superintendent’s Corner is now posted. This week, Dr. Hopson discusses the challenges inherent in deciding whether or not to delay or cancel school. Read the complete column for more information.
Have a great week!
Wendy V. Long, Editor
“Breaking News From Gateway”
Is published weekly by the Gateway Regional School District
12 Littleville Rd.
Huntington, MA 01050
For questions or feedback, please contact Wendy Long @ (413) 685-1003 or email email@example.com
© 2019, Gateway Regional School District